Pea or Soya Bean Soup
serves| 6 servings
Prep Time|20 minutes
Cooking Time|2 Hours 30 Minutes
- 800g (2 cups)
yellow split peas or soya beans
- 80ml (1/3 cup) butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2L (8 cups) chicken broth
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks,
- 200g diced pancetta
- salt and pepper
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- Rince yellow split peas and strain. If using soya beans, soak overnight. Strain and reserve.
- In a large pot, melt butter and brown onion and thyme until golden.
- Add chicken broth, carrot, celery, pancetta and peas or beans. Cook yellow split peas for 1 hour 30 minutes or soya beans for 2 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add milk, stir and continue cooking on low heat for 30 minutes.